Occupy This! : Musings from the Middle East

My adventure in Israel and Palestine begins.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sun. JULY 2 : Immaculate Contraception in Nazareth

I'm in Nazareth now. Since we were unable to stay in Ramallah, we were moved to another intership here. As soon as I found out there was no internet service in the hotel and not internet cafes in all of Nazareth I lost it. I literally cried myself to sleep on Friday night when we arrived. After the dinner with the 3000 old people from Barcelona, the nun cutting in front of me in life, the little old ladies pushing and shoving me, the internet thing made me lose it.

After a good nights sleep, I decided to look at all the positive aspects of the change in my internship. I'm no longer in Ramallah where movement and travel is severely restricted. This town has a shisha (hooka) bar that shows all the soccer games. Almost everyone is a Germany fan! Go figure! There are markets to buy food, pharmacies to buy meds and plenty of shoe stores. I think I'm going to be ok.

As you can tell, I finally have access to the internet. We're allowed to use the general manager's office any time we'd like. We, myself and three other girls, have literally taken over the town. The hotel's executive lounge is basically our little hang out area. We are now the proud owners of a coffee machine, blender and George Foreman grill. Yes, it's true. We actually found a shop that sells all these lovely items and decided that since we will be living here for over a month, we might as well make it our little home. We're in the process of stealing some silverware, plates and cups from the hotel restaurant. We're just two spoons shy of a 4 person set:)

Today we took a cab to the Sea of Galilee. We found a little beach club that served Bacardi Breezes and french fries. I'm hoping to get the photos of the day trip up soon. I'm having trouble posting them to this blog for some reason. I don't think I've ever seen so many men in speedos in my life. There was one man in particular that I have to tell you about. He was a guy in his 70s, about 5'3", with a little belly. He walked around the place like he owned it and he probably did. The best part was that he wore bright yellow rubber clogs and a cowboy hat with his tiny black speedo. It was a riot to watch him drink beer and jump rope (yes, he jumped rope in a speedo...With his clogs on). He also had a jet ski that he rode around and showed off on. It was just lovely. It really was.

It was nice to relax today. It's been a tough week and my internship starts tomorrow. It's almost 11pm now. I better get going.

much love,
waj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home